Saturday, September 30, 2006

Haikus...


Issa

In my old home
which I forsook,
the cherries are in blossom.

A giant firefly:
that way, this way, that way, this –
and it passes by.

Right at my feet –
and when did you get there,
snail?

Shuson

I kill an ant and realize
my three children
have been watching.

Kijo

Clouds appear and bring men
a chance to rest from
looking at the moon.

Won’t you come and see
loneliness?
Just one leaf from the kiri tree.

The first soft snow!
Enough to bend the leaves
Of the jonquil low.

Ryusui

In all this cool
is the moon also sleeping?
There in the pool?

Masaoka

I want to sleep
Swat the flies
Softly, please.

After killing a spider,
how lonely I feel
in the cold of night!

The summer rivers:
although there is a bridge,
my horse goes through water,

Kyoshi

A dead chrysanthemum
and yet – isn’t there still
something remaining in it?

The wind that blows –
ask them, which leaf on
the tree will be next to go.

No comments: